Skip the greasy takeaway and prepare this traditional Indian favourite yourself using fresh and wholesome ingredients.
Serves: 4 | Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Skill Level: Intermediate
2 x large free range chicken breast, sliced lengthways in the middle (makes 4 fillets)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup natural or Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 -3 cups of booked basmati rice
1 teaspoon of turmeric
Handful of currants
1 cup plain Greek or natural yoghurt
1 Lebanese cucumber, finely diced
Pinch of salt
1. To make the tandoori paste, mix yoghurt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, paprika and lemon juice.
2. To prepare the chicken, pat dry the chicken with paper towel. Cut 3 to 4 small slits to each chicken piece.
3. Rub paste onto chicken, place in a large bowl, cover and allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
4. Heat a large fry pan to medium heat, add the oil and cook chicken on each side for 3-4 minutes or until charred and cooked through. Set aside.
5. To prepare the yellow rice, add cooked rice to a pan on very low heat, drizzle a little olive oil, add turmeric and cook stirring until combined. Turn of the heat. Gently fold through currants.
6. Slice the chicken and dish up with yellow rice.